Re: New system monitor extension

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
Il giorno sab, 21/05/2011 alle 14.17 +0200, Florian Mounier ha scritto:
> Hi !
> I wrote a gnome shell extension displaying memory / swap / cpu usage
> in status bar.
> My code is far from perfect but I thought it might interest some of
> you.
> Code is available
> here: http://github.com/paradoxxxzero/gnome-shell-system-monitor-applet
> Any feedback is welcome.
> Best regards

I'm afraid you're late. :)
There is already a systemMonitor extension in gnome-shell-extension
master, that shows CPU and memory using libgtop. Currently it adds an
actor in the message tray; if you want to improve it to show a system
status indicator, you should patch it and file a bug.

Giovanni

And libgtop is the way to go anyways.  I personally would like to see system monitor in the overview if possible.  I think that fits the design much better.  System monitor and weather are all "tasks" so to speak.  If you put it in the task bar you're breaking the design as that is where the system applets are.  Monitoring your computer is not a system task IMHO.  Frankly, I'm very protective what goes into that top bar now as I like keeping it minimalistic and distraction free.  A quick hot key will satisfy my curiosity whether the system is running well or not.

sri