Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On 22 May 2011 04:25, Ryan Peters <sloshy45 sbcglobal net> wrote:
On 05/21/2011 12:42 PM, Tim Murphy wrote:
The *only* potentially good reason I've heard for, say, wanting a window list, is that some users like using the mouse and don't want to have to use the keyboard. In some (not all) cases this is the fault of the user for not trying to use both of their hands, but in other cases, such as if the user has only one hand or rarely has two hands available, it can be worked around with an extension. There are many, many extensions that enable a GNOME 2-like experience (application menu, icons on the top panel, moving the clock, etc.) and if GNOME 3 *cannot possibly fit into a user's workflow*, some extensions can help remedy that.

It's extremely difficult to discuss anything if you think things "are the user's fault" in user interfaces.  I'm more inclined to believe that everything is the user interfaces fault at least that's the better way to look at it since you can get people to adapt to anything if they absolutely have to with enough learning. Can you imagine a sour faced Mr Clippy appearing in your window saying, "looks like you didn't do that right, bob, and it's your fault for not pressing ctrl-alt-f, just remember that for next time ok, because ctrl-al-f is much better than clicking like you used to ok?"

It's a visual user interface and some people may find it easier to stay in visual thinking mode and like to be able to see all their options so that they can save their brain space for what they're actually doing.  Perhaps people don't work the way you do.  How are you going to trash this argument?  I am sure you'll find some way which is why it doesn't seem worth the effort to try and argue about these specific things.  They *are* matters of preference and it's rare to be able to convince anyone to give up what they like and you certainly have not appeared to want to do so.

Finally, saying things can be fixed with extensions is basically "program it yourself if you don't like it," which is the standard response in OSS and in the end I think theres something fair about that.  It is much easier to install XFCE though and it seems to suit me hence I've lost my motivation for continuing this discussion.

Regards,

Tim

--
You could help some brave and decent people to have access to uncensored news by making a donation at:

http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/