Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On 05/07/2011 01:13 AM, Allan E. Registos wrote:
On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 17:26 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
This is a perfect example of why people should feel comfortable using
suspend-to-RAM on Linux. And that's why we made it the default if the
kernel tells us that your laptop hardware is known to suspend
successfully.
For the record, there is nobody AFAIK was against using Suspend being
put on the user menu, but being forced to use it is quite and blatantly
wrong especially on a Linux desktop.
You are not forced to use it; the preferred behavior is that, when you want to shut off your computer (which is a very trivial thing to do if you think about it, especially considering how often it even needs to be done), log out first. The option to "Power Off" is still in GDM. From what I've read, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the reason suspend is encouraged so much is so it matches the default behavior of the power button and closing the laptop lid, for consistency purposes.

The only problem I have with the current setup is that you have to hold Alt to make "Suspend" change to "Power Off", as it's considered a "Power User" feature. No, I don't mind this at all, but what I do mind is how it's not discoverable to new users and I think that might change with GNOME 3.2 (at least as far as making it discoverable). I can't say though as I have no authority within the project whatsoever.