Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 15:46, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com> wrote:
> > Trying.
> > Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #1 launches.
> > Need to open Expose again, so:
> > Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #2 launches.
> > Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #3 launches.
> > Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #4 launches.
> >
> > This is still much slower than click-click-click-click in Gnome 2.
>
> ..and you cut out the bit where I recommended the actually-sane solution
> - if you know you're always going to launch the same four apps, just set
> them to launch automatically on login. Since this is possible, it's
> understandable that 'launch a known set of multiple apps in quick
> succession' is not a key design target for Shell's launching behaviour,
> since if you're going to do that all the time there are better ways to
> do it anyway.

These four apps are: Firefox, Evolution, Xchat2 and terminal.
I don't want to launch and terminal every time 100% of time.
I do it when I came *to work*. I don't do it at home.

This is a perfect example of why people should feel comfortable using suspend-to-RAM on Linux. And that's why we made it the default if the kernel tells us that your laptop hardware is known to suspend successfully.