Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

What we're really talking about now is batch launching, so there were
better solutions in gnome 2 and there are better solutions in gnome
shell

1) install alacarte if you haven't
2) open alacarte and click "new item"
3) create a launcher with name e.g. "Work Batch"
4) write the command e.g. as: su -c "firefox & evolution & xchat &
gnome-terminal"
5) select an icon if you want, save and exit

You can have different batch launchers for home, for when you're
working on the road or whatever situations.
In Gnome 2 you could have embedded them in a panel, thus going to 1
click instead of N for each set of N applications.
In Gnome Shell you tap windows key and type "work b" (or even less
letters) and press enter. If you name them with some criteria you can
display all your batch launchers by typing something like "batch".

The fact that you found a workaround to your real needs (batch
launching) in gnome 2 ( click on N icons in sequence ) that was
marginally better for you than gnome shell's way (tap window key, drag
N icons in sequence, tap again) in my opinion doesn't make it a very
interesting case for displaying N icons all the time in a system bar.

At best, it makes the case to allow easily building batch launchers
without resorting to "advanced" tools. As an expert user, you can
deal- other users might find useful an extension or extra core
features developed in the future.