Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 21:19 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 11:07 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 18:51 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> >
> > > Explaining:
> > > Now I need to move it upwards, then downwards.
> > >
> > > If I want to start four apps in a row, which I do every day in the
> > > morning, I can't go up and click-click-click-click, I need to
> > > go up, go down and click,
> > > go up, go down and click,
> > > go up, go down and click,
> > > go up, go down and click.
> >
> > You really want to be using the keyboard shortcut to access overview.
> > It's much nicer than using the mouse, on a typical desktop/laptop.
>
> Trying.
> Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #1 launches.
> Need to open Expose again, so:
> Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #2 launches.
> Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #3 launches.
> Alt-F1, click -> Expose closes, app #4 launches.
>
> This is still much slower than click-click-click-click in Gnome 2.

..and you cut out the bit where I recommended the actually-sane solution
- if you know you're always going to launch the same four apps, just set
them to launch automatically on login. Since this is possible, it's
understandable that 'launch a known set of multiple apps in quick
succession' is not a key design target for Shell's launching behaviour,
since if you're going to do that all the time there are better ways to
do it anyway.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey