Re: Using Git and separating translations into their own l10n-LL repository

Hi Matej,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 03:00:33PM +0100, Matej Urban wrote:
> > No as there should not be since there are no untranslated modules. Now
> > I have actually gotten curious, pot files are empty templates, what
> > exactly do you use those for?
>
> Maybe unconventional, but I update my own po files with latest pots,
> since I often change translations. Commiting is such a drag, that I
> take a *.pot, make changes when I have time, wait for new *.pot,

$ svn up
$ cd po
$ intltool-update LL

When finished:

$ svn ci

Would it be simpler with your approach?

One drawback I see with your approach:
Are you sure that the pot file is really the latest one? Something in
the DL could fail and the pot file won't be updated, so you will use
outdated one...

> translate, wait, again update from *.pot, make more updates, and then
> when I have some more time, I commit. I am frequently able to
> translate, but mainly over the weekend to commit. Sound even more
> rational then I thought.
>
> > No but it will be more complex for me.
>
> Maybe not, that was not yet determined. Again, there surely is a way
> to simlink, synch or whatever to satisfy both of us.
> The http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/ structure seems to be strict, so why
> would synching
>
> i10n.HEAD-LL
> - accerciser.HEAD.po
> - accroc.HEAD.po
> - alacarte.HEAD.po
> - alleyoop.HEAD.po
> - almanah.HEAD.po
> - anjuta.HEAD.po

> accerciser/trunk/po/LL.po
> - accroc/trunk/po/LL.po
> - alacarte/trunk/po/LL.po
> - alleyoop/trunk/po/LL.po
> - almanah/trunk/po/LL.po
> - anjuta/trunk/po/LL.po

Nobody is preventing you to make something like this:

$ mkdir i10n.HEAD-LL
$ cd i10n.HEAD-LL
$ ln ../accroc/trunk/po/LL.po accroc.HEAD.po
$ ln ../alacarte/trunk/po/LL.po alacarte.HEAD.po
.... (easily scriptable using for, if you want)

Update whatever you want in (all, if you want) po files.

$ cd ..
$ for i in */po ; do cd $i ; svn ci ; done

(The scripting above is just an idea, not for real usage)

> In the end it will not be me who will do that change. I have no idea
> how to make it, but you seem more tech-savvy to figure it out. You do
> the thinking about it, to make us both satisfied, cause I can not be
> of any help.

Best regards.

| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   marcel telka sk  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |
|                jabber:   marcel jabber sk |