Re: Using Git and separating translations into their own l10n-LL repository

2009/1/22 Matej Urban <matej urban gmail com>:
> Hello,
> It seems that we are maybe a little bit too passionate about it :)
>
>> What do you need pot-files for? You will get updated po-files which is
>> what you need if there already os a translation or a pot-files if
>> there wasn't already one.
>
> There are no pot file in the tar.gz.
> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/sl/gnome-2-26/ui.tar.gz

No as there should not be since there are no untranslated modules. Now
I have actually gotten curious, pot files are empty templates, what
exactly do you use those for?

> This has a lot to do with the way both of us get the job done. I'm
> sure, that your tech knowledge and awareness keeps you wanting full
> extra super overview of the situation. I'm looking for simplicity.
> Since I am coping with something I really do not want to do, I am
> happy for any improvement. You still seek control. We are exactly on
> the opposite sites.
>
> Basically using single folder or updating directly to DL just my
> language files in tar.gz, is super OK by me. Single folder can be
> managed easier, since I can work on my local folder and only sync
> differences, no need to check which files were changed, no additional
> copying, no packing, easy word synchronizing and easy management of
> string database.  Upload to DL would be next best thing.
>
>>> Agreed! But work on translations, not with committing.
>>
>> That is part of the task.
>
> I see it as unnecessary part of the task.
>
>>>  I believe, that It should not be a big deal keeping the
>>> structure intact and syncing the whole lot with single folder. Maybe
>>> I'm wrong.
>>
>> From what I could read from the previous e-mails about how to use git
>> with submodules, to link translations in form their own module, it
>> will be significantly more complex.
>
> I don't mind it to be more complex as long as it is not more complex
> for me.

No but it will be more complex for me.

>  Managing single folder should be as easy as managing any
> project so far:

No because you still need them to find their way back in the modules
again to be able to update them against the source code.