Re: [Gimp-developer] OSX

Am 14.09.2014 um 23:27 schrieb Partha Bagchi <partha1b gmail com>:

Simone,

It is indeed possible to change the language within Gimp without
changing the system language.

yes, I know.
I meant that my builds don’t support setting the locale within GIMP. And, I disabled the code intentionally.

If you are packaging the iso-codes, you should be able to see and set
the default Gimp language without changing system language.

I don’t see a need for this. Two UI elements to set the application localization are IMO more confusing than
useful and don’t confirm to the OS X guidelines (ok, ok, I know, GIMP is just a port not an OS X application,
and there should be as few as possible platform dependent code).
Nevertheless, IMO native Mac applications should respect the user’s settings in System Preferences, and if
you’re really such an advanced user who want’s to run GIMP in a different locale than your system locale, you
can still do this, as Michael said, in ‚the Linux way‘ via Terminal by typing

LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 open -a GIMP

And, if I understand Sven correctly, you’ll get a mixture of languages in the App menu, if the system
preferred language differs from GIMP’s language selector. So it’s still a hack.
BTW, this is just the same as if you use the above command line. You’ll get the same mixture of languages.

Ok, you have an UI element for this whereas I use the command line… ;-) (SCNR)

Regards
Simone Karin