Re: [Gimp-developer] OSX

Am 14.09.2014 um 15:08 schrieb scl <scl gplus gmail com>:

BTW, I’ve never used this part of the code at all and only rely on System Preferences as any other OS X
Application does.

Well, that's indeed a point why we provide an extra language selector
while the user can already set the language in the operating system
resp. desktop environment. This is questionable not only on OS X, but on all systems.
Especially on OS X we currently have the effect that the language of
most of the UI is set in our selector, but the language of system
specific menu items from the App menu can only be set in the OS X'
system preferences.

I’m not quite sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean, that without the language chooser code, the
language of some App menu items and other menu items is different? This does _not_ happen with my build.

As I’ve written, my build only relies on System Preferences. I’ve completely disabled the language chooser
code and of course have added some patches to read System Preferences. And, well, all App menu items and all
other menu items show up in the same language, I’ve chosen in System Preferences. Well, if some strings are
not translated in e.g. Gaelige, then the second language setting in System Preferences is chosen, then the
third and so on.

The convenient way for users to set the language
consistently is to use 'System language' in GIMP, set the desired
language as primary language in the system's preferences and restart
GIMP.

Isn’t it easier at all to only set the primary language in System Preferences, along with some secondary
setting and maybe some more? Why using the language selector in GIMP? As far as I can see, there is no need
for the language selector, at least my builds work without it very well.

From a technical point of view the language information is something
that has to be provided by the application framework to make sure
all applications based on it behave the same.

And AFAIK, even your build should now that GIMP uses gtk-mac-integration word without the language selector.
I not, try my patches and rewritten library.

Regards
Simone

—
stay hungry, stay foolish