Re: [Gimp-developer] wilber in the toolbar

On May 13, 2012, at 7:22, Liam R E Quin wrote
some very wise words:

> Useability does not operate in a vacuum - branding is part of the user
> experience.
>
> Useable is aslo not always the same as "immediately comfortable."
>
> Please, let's not attack people.

for which I am grateful.

also Liam is right about that the dropping areas (toolbox and n-i-w)
can use some feedback when files are dragged over them. this could be
as simple as swapping fg and bg colors.

> I do think that if gtk had an explicit "drop files here" widget, maybe
> like the one Sun and AT&T experimented with some 15 years ago (theirs
> also had a "drag out from here" button that changed when the document
> was non-empty) then the demands on Wilber might change, both in the
> toolbox and in the no-image-window, but such a drag widget would need to
> be used elsewhere, e.g in the gnome text editor, file manager, etc. The
> useability studies at the time were very promising.

I was thinking of the same SUN widget, I used an editor a lot that
had that little receiving stamp widget.

that is also the reason that I maintain that the whole toolbox needs
to be the drop target. it is simply both faster and securer to use,
simply a much bigger target. yes, at the cost of ease of learning.

    --ps

            man + machine interface works

        http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture