Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimit! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

недељa, 14. септембар 2003. 07:44:50 CEST — Andreas J. Guelzow написа:

The current method may not have any great advantages for the
Foundation, but hte proposed method appears to have significant dasadvantages.

Not any disadvantage that current method doesn't have.

Well, there have been claims that independent counts are possible but
since the provided data can not be checked those are indeed just
claims. By having an anonymous vote we put all our trust into those that administrate the election, effectively those that are currently `in power'. While we may verify that our `code' is correctly associated with our vote there does not seem to be any mechanism to guarantee that all listed votes are indeed cast by valid voters:

If we provide a list of all who voted, in the discussions like the one you mention below, it would also come to surface if someone didn't vote, but was included as if (s)he did.

say the foundation has 400 members, 50 of them in fact cast a ballot
but the list of vote lists 100 codes and corresponding votes. Those
interested in the election (and having cast their vote) may check the
result and verify their own ballot but that are only 50. the remaining members are unlikely to check since they have already shown not to be interested in that election. Even if they do, each has a 75% chance that it is correctly recorded that they did not cast a vote. Since those that are interested in the election have no opportunity to comment to any non-voter: "I see you voted for X, but you always said he was a bad ..."
it is unlikely that any vote tampering would be detected. (Note that
to fix most votes you only have to add a few votes, so realistically
probably a list of 65 votes would suffice and only 15 of the 350
non-voters would be in the position to recognize the fraud,)

The same is with the current system. It is fairly unlikely that frauds will be recognized with such a "non-formal" way of discussions about the choices one made.

At the same time, along the same lines, one could list all those who voted anonimously, so if I see you in the list of the ones who voted, in a friendly discussion I might ask you (the same as your example above): "how many of your 'chosen' ones were actually elected?"

This would not intrude into your privacy, but if you didn't vote (which would mean fraud), we've got the same non-formal mechanism of detecting fraud in such a new system, like the mentioned one in current system (discussions with friends about votes they cast).

So, I think that on this particular issue of trust, there's nothing different in current and proposed system, but there surely is room for improvement (though I cannot readily suggest what that improvement should be). So if you're to go as far as to claim the proposed system as untrustworthy (because only non-formal ways are used to detect fraud), the same is with the current system.

Cheers,
Danilo