Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

Mike,

Thanks for your response! I absolutely don't want to start flame war here. I raised
these issues only because I would like to have people think about that.

Anonymous voting gives them freedom to vote entirely based on this information, and not on other peoples perceptions of their vote.
I don't think that freedom can come without responsibility. If you make
descision (you vote) than you need to take responsibility for  this.
Irresponsible descision makers made a lot of bad things thru human history.
Some of these descisions might have been different if people making them
knew that the had had to be responsible for what they are doing. Anonymous
voting removes responsibility from voter and I feel that this is a bad thing.

No system of election is perfect but we have two advantages - people
smart enough to build good checks and balances into the system, and an
electorate with the broadly common goal of making GNOME successful.

At the very worst under anonymous voting, people would just go ahead and
vote exactly how they would have done anyway. At best, we all get to
vote how we really think.

I would like to repeat that I don't think that introducing the anonymous voting today can cause any immidiate problems. You are right, currently we have good people in the
community and good people in charge of elections. However things change and
we might have a different situation tomorrow. The proposed change is basicaly a change in the political system of GNOME Foundation. Thus I feel that we need to be very carefull, think ahead and plan the system to work in changed conditions too.

Aleksey