Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimit! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

I'm not aware of any modern democracy that practices 'open' voting, and
such voting is typically considered a hallmark of repressive
pseudo-democracies. More relevantly, I'm not aware of any
non-governmental bodies that practice open voting either- even my
elementary school realized that voting in the open was a recipe for peer
pressure influence.

Given that open voting is so unusual, I think we have to presume that
closed/anonymous voting is the right thing and the burden of proof must
be on those advocating closed voting. And I've not seen anything in this
thread demonstrating why 2,000 years of democratic practice is wrong and
open voting is correct

Well, I don't think that argument "everyone else is doing (not doing) something" is
a good one. You have to make *your* descisions. You need to know about what
other people are doing to have more options but at the end you need to make *your*
descision and don't blindly follow the crowd.

<joke>
For example, using your argument I can argue that 90% (I made up this number but I don't think it's too far from reality) of computer users use Windows. Even my friend just switched to Windows and he is saying it's cool! Thus there is no need in GNOME and GNOME Foundation
all together :)
</joke>

Aleksey