Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

Over the last couple of weeks, the GNOME Foundation board of directors
have been discussing the annual elections, and in particular the
'openness' of the results. We would like to put forward a proposal for
anonymous voting, to be in effect for the annual elections in November
2003.

While I understand the issues with "open" voting raised in Glynn's message, I would like to point
out that anonymous voting has its own problems which should not be overlooked. I would
appreciate if the GNOME Foundation board of directors can share their thoughts about these
problems (if it is possible).

0) Voter responsibility.
"Open" voting is really open. You have to think about your decisions and take responsibility
for what you are doing.  Anonymous voting makes the voter less responsible than s/he would be
in case of "open" voting. In the ideal world, every voter makes an informative and responsible
decision based on best of her/his knowledge. However, in real life people are lazy. If nobody
see the results then voter would spend less time thinking about her/his decisions thus adding
"randomness" to voting results. The best example of this is the issue raised by Glynn's message:
the "open" voting makes people think about how  their votes would affect their relationship with
colleges, etc. In anonymous voting one would not think about this and probably about other
consequences of her/his voting.

1) Voting results manipulation.
Anonymous voting is more vulnerable to voting results manipulations because of its closed nature.
There is a good proposal to allow voter to view his/her results after voting but it's not enough.
One can still manipulate the votes and nobody would notice it. In order to do this one need to just
make the code show one results to voter and use another results for counting actual results.
The "open" voting eliminates this possibility because everyone can look at one big table of votes
and do results re-calculation by him/herself. I have no doubts that GNOME Foundation board of
directors is not going to play dirty games. But we don't know what would be the situation in the
future and who and why would need to win the election. IMHO, the system should be designed to
prevent an attack of a "bad guy". You know that if something bad can happen then it would happen :)

2) Voting results un-anonymity.
In the ideal world, nobody has access to private key used for voting. However, some program
needs to generate these keys, send out to voters, etc. As in the previous topic, I have no doubts
that currently nobody would try to get access to this information. But it's technically possible
and one day one bad guy might decide to do this. S/he would get advantage by knowing more
than other people and can use this knowledge for doing bad things. In open voting everyone
has access to the same data. There is no reason to try to break the system because there are no
secrets.  Anonymous voting creates secrets thus it creates a reason to get these secrets and use
for profit. One can provide a technical solution that would help with this problem (strong cryptography,
very strong cryptography, real strong cryptography, etc.) But the truth is that any technical solution
can be broken (especially by people from inside).

Bottom line:
"Open" voting is a simple system. It has a disadvantage that voters have to think about what are
they doing (i.e. think how their voting would affect their relationship with colleagues, etc.) But is it
a disadvantage at all? Anonymous voting creates secrets and puts some people in the position
where they have more power to play dirty games. And this *creates the reason* to play dirty games.
Thus one day one bad guy would do it. Personally I feel more comfortable to stay with current
"open" voting.

Thank you in advance,

Aleksey Sanin