Re: Terminology

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 09:45 -0400, Warren Baird wrote:
> Thomas PARIS wrote:
> >
> > That's where I disagree. I don't think we should immediately put
> > pictures into albums. But that's probably because we don't have the same
> > use case for albums. For me, not all pictures need to be in an album. So
> > we're back to the definition of an album ;)
>
> As I said in a separate post, I am starting to think that an
> automatically created album on import might be really useful...   But if
> we don't do that - you are probably right that the default should be to
> show only tags in the album.
>
> > So I think the question really is: should pictures be put in an album on
> > import? Maybe giving a more precise definition of album will answer this
> > question of course.
>
> My feeling is that we should provide automatically created albums on
> import.   Additionally, users should be given the ability to manually
> select an album (existing or newly created) at import.   The use case
> here would be:  I'm on vacation, and I have an album for all of the pics
> from this vacation - Every time I import photos during the vacation, I
> select the appropriate album on import so everything ends up in the
> right album automatically.

Speaking on behalf of my wife, who is an unsophisticated user of f-spot,
I would vote no on the automatically created albums and yes on the
ability to select existing or newly created albums on import (with the
ability to assign images individually). We usually get around to
importing photos when we are getting ready to take the camera somewhere,
so more often than not, there's a combination of subjects/events getting
downloaded.

Regarding what tags should be shown in an album view, my wife would be
more interested in creating albums before tagging photos. But it would
then be an easier task for her to tag photos once they're organized into
an album view, rather than going through and trying to tag all 5,000+
images in the standard library view. I don't see much point in having
the tag selector tree present, whittled down to only the tags that have
been applied to the photos in the current album.