Re: Terminology

Hi all, still without internet.  :(

2006/9/20, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com>:
Bengt Thuree wrote:
> Nope, we still will need the last imported concept.
> With your reasoning, you can import directly into an album, but that might
> be the Vacation to Paris, but you have 4 imports (cards or whatever) for
> this small trip.

I obviously didn't express myself too well...   What I meant was that
f-spot could always automatically create an album when you imported
pictures - named something like "Import-YYYY-MM-DD..."    If we stored
these in a different list than the user created albums, it'd give you an
easy way to find *any* import you've made - whether it was yesterday or
3 years ago.    And if we're going to implement albums anyway, we
basically get last-imported functionality for free...

And we could also let the user name that import.  "Betty and Sam's Wedding", "Fishing trip to Alaska".  Reasonable default provided for those who don't want to name.  Two years from now a directory named Import-2006-09-20 isn't going to mean much to me and most likely I'm not going to care much when it got imported.

Forgetting about terminology, because we can name things later, consider this:

On import user picks a directory to import into.  This could be an existing directory, a new directory, or a default directory ("Import-YYYY-MM-DD", or whatever is decided on).  The user also has the option to check a box to add a tag with the same name to all pictures.  This tag, if added would go into a separate top level category.

Separately we allow the user to group photos together and have a non-standard ordering and a specific picture to represent the group as a whole.  This could also be implemented as part of Tag or via some other means.

Ben