Re: Terminology

Dotan Cohen wrote:

+ Collection: A group of photos that are kept together. A photo can
belong to multiple collections. The photos in a collection are
arranged in a user-defined order. When a collection is displayed, only
the photos of that collection are accessable. That means that the tags
of photos not in the collection are not displayed, and the timeline
refers to the collection being used only. Also, operations such as
Select All or Export, when done while viewing a collection, will
operate only on the photos of that collection.

Hi Dotan,

I agree with John. I think it is important to not get too caught up in parallels with the real world. People do sometimes make multiple copies of the same photo and put it in multiple albums. We can make the 'virtual' album in f-spot better than the album in the real world. That doesn't necessarily break the album paradigm in the users mind.

If you followed the logic of not making software versions of things better than the real-world version, you'd have to include 'virtual white-out' in a word processor instead of letting someone delete text.

I generally agree with the definition above, but think that we should use the term 'album' instead of 'collection'. It will be more clear to the user.

I'm not sure about limiting the tags. I like the ability to visually drag and drop tags that we currently have - and if you eliminate the unused tags, you wouldn't be able to use that mechanism to tag your photos. Maybe providing an advanced option to eliminate all the unused tags would be good - but I don't think it should be the default behaviour.

Warren