Terminology

I see that the time has come to define certain terms for our own
internal use. Please review my suggestions for definitions of these
terms, and we can make them official.

Plugin/Extension: This is any third-party addition to F-spot. We need
to pick one name and use it- I vote for "Plugin".

Photo: One image that was produced by a digital camera, graphics
program, or scanned image. An alternative word is "picture".

Tag: An arbitrary word or phrase added to a photo (by an end-user) to
decribe the photo. A photo may have multiple tags, and a tag can be
assigned to more than one photo.

Album: A group of photos that are kept together. A photo belonging to
a particular album is said to be "in" the album- thus the same photo
cannot be in any other album. If the user wants to have the same image
(the visual part of a photo) in more than one album, then he must
duplicate the Photo containing the image and place the duplicate in
the second album. Furthermore, every image must belong to an album.

Library/Collection: A group of albums. This would contain all the
photos that a particular installation of F-spot is designed to handle.
We need to pick one name and use it- I vote for "Library".

Touchup: A change to an image that is made to correct camera error,
such as red-eye reduction.

Modify: A change to an image that is made to alter the content of the
photo, such as removing your aunt from the photo.

Please let me know if these definitions are fitting, and could we
ratify them? I think that common terminology is critical for
communicating ideas between users and developers. If someone will open
for me an account to the wiki (username "dotancohen", please) then I
will maintain the terminology list.

See bug #352669 for ideas about organising the albums (ie: organising
the library) in F-spot. One question still remains, however. What
should we call the group of photos that arise when modifing a photo,
for example with red-eye remover?

Dotan Cohen