Re: [Evolution] Removing Ubuntu 9.04, Installing 14.04. How to move Evo?

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 20:08 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Swarup <dinbandhu sprynet com> wrote:
        > Nothing above is done via gmail website. Everything is done
        inside
        > Evolution.

        Oh! This is big news. I never knew this sort of thing could be
        done. Ok,
        so my .evolution in my /home has over 3 GB of mail in it. Is
        this going
        to be able to be done? You mentioned that over 500 MB, Gmail
        may
        throttle my connection.

Yep, so it can take a week or so, if you use Gmail. There can be other
mail providers around which may not have such limitations. (ie your
ISP?). Also note that you could possibly setup your own IMAP server on
this PC or any other PC in your local area network. (I have Dovecot
running on my localhost keeping my mail archives for example)...

        And you mention trying one mail at a time. My outbox has
        15,000 mails in
        it. Am I going to be able to transfer large amounts like this
        by the
        method discussed?

It's just to make sure it works. Once you see it works properly, you
can copy 100 or 100s of mails at once, or even try to copy a whole
folder with 15000 mails. This will also be related to the 500meg cap
if you use Gmail, your connection speed to the IMAP Server, etc. It
will take considerable time if you use something out of your own PC.

Overall, this IMAP idea is looking like a bit of a forbidding project to
me.

Perhaps I could let you know what I have arranged so far, and you and/or
others here could let me know if you think it sufficient to start with
and see how it goes.

I currently have a dual boot on my MBP with OSX/Ubuntu 9.04, and wish to
install Ubuntu 14.04. My plan is to set up a triple boot OSX/9.04/14.04
to start. Once it is confirmed that everything is working fine on 14.04,
then I will delete 9.04.

The arrangements I have for migrating evo so far are threefold:

1. I will have a current, compressed backup in the form
"evolution-backup.tar.gz". This is made via File -> Backup Settings. It
is used by going into the new evo File -> Restore Settings. This
facility will browse to the location of the compressed backup file, and
use it to restore all the email as well as the address book.

Can someone tell me if the evo that ships with Ubuntu 14.04 still has
this tool File-> Backup, and File-> Restore? If it has the "restore"
feature, I imagine there is a good chance it may work.

2. I will have the full .evolution folder from the /home. That file
contains all the individual mailbox files in the form of text files. I
would imagine these generic text files would be usable in the new evo?
If so, I could manually create all the mail folders in the new evo, and
then paste the mailbox text files containing all the mail, into the
respective mailbox folders I've created in the new .evolution.

3. If neither #1 nor #2 work, then I would have to go via the IMAP
route. For that, the 9.04 with its old evo will still be on the HDD.
Presuming my triple boot install works, I'll be able to go into 9.04 and
do the IMAP upload, over the course of a week's time as explained.

I won't know until I do the install, whether the triple boot is really
going to work-- although I think it will. Assuming it does, I could
always go the IMAP route at a later time if needed. If I can't run 9.04
for some reason, then I'll be limited to using options 1 and/or 2 above.

Would very much appreciate your thoughts and input, as well as that of
others. You all have far more experience with these things than I do.

Swarup