Re: [Evolution] Removing Ubuntu 9.04, Installing 14.04. How to move Evo?

On Sat, 2014-04-19 at 23:30 -0400, Swarup wrote:
On Sat, 2014-04-19 at 09:56 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2014-04-18 at 20:59 -0400, Swarup wrote:
2) Here is another method, if the above won't work for any reason.
This
method details how to save every mailbox folder separately.

http://www.stchman.com/export_evolution.html

This method was detailed by a fellow running Evolution 2.10.1, which
is
even older than mine. So I guess it should work for me as well. A bit
tedious, doing each mailbox folder separately-- but if I have to do it
then that is another option.

Better would be to move existing mail folders onto an IMAP server (e.g.
Gmail or Fastmail). For modest amounts of mail, Evo can do this with
drag and drop. For large mailboxes it's probably more convenient to use
ImapSync (http://imapsync.lamiral.info/). Note that you still have to
transfer contact information and filter rules separately.

1. What about creating the compressed backup file,
"evolution-backup.tar.gz"? I thought that was looking like a wonderful
approach. The new evo won't be able to import that?

2. Re your suggestion above, do you mean just drag the mail folders one
at a time and literally drop them into my gmail account? Where in the
gmail account window do I drop them?

As for the size of the mail folders, most may contain around 150-200
emails. A few have 500-700 mails, still fewer have ~1500 mails. My
outbox, on the other hand has 14,600 emails in it.

Once I have them in the gmail account, the new evo will import them from
there? Is it that one selects something like "Import from IMAP server"?

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I mentioned Gmail
simply as an example of an email provider that supports IMAP (as long as
you configure it according to Gmail's recommendations). I do *not* mean
you can drag and drop between Evo and a browser window pointed at Gmail.
Once you configure your Gmail account for IMAP (using Gmail's web
interface), you then set it up in Evo as an IMAP account and then move
your mail across. There is no "import from IMAP" action in Evo, you just
see the mail on the server directly. Of course you can move it somewhere
else if you just want to use Gmail as a holding area for the conversion.
Or keep using it as your IMAP store if you prefer. I've been using Gmail
with IMAP via Evo for years, a) because it's free and has a large
capacity, and b) because it has great spam filtering, and c) I can
easily get to my mail from another computer which may not have Evo or
even be running Linux. However that's up to you.

I mentioned the ImapSync alternative because in the past some people
have had problems when dragging and dropping very large folders to IMAP
servers (or maybe the servers haven't collaborated, I forget), and
ImapSync helps by maintaining local state so you can stop, start, retry
etc. without losing mail. Note that Google does throttle traffic to your
account so copying a large amount of mail can take time, which makes it
convenient to run ImapSync overnight and not have to keep an interactive
session open. It's also easier to see what it's doing than it would be
with Evo.

poc