Re: [Evolution] Removing Ubuntu 9.04, Installing 14.04. How to move Evo?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Swarup <dinbandhu sprynet com> wrote:
> Nothing above is done via gmail website. Everything is done inside
> Evolution.

Oh! This is big news. I never knew this sort of thing could be done. Ok,
so my .evolution in my /home has over 3 GB of mail in it. Is this going
to be able to be done? You mentioned that over 500 MB, Gmail may
throttle my connection.

Yep, so it can take a week or so, if you use Gmail. There can be other mail providers around which may not have such limitations. (ie your ISP?). Also note that you could possibly setup your own IMAP server on this PC or any other PC in your local area network. (I have Dovecot running on my localhost keeping my mail archives for example)...

And you mention trying one mail at a time. My outbox has 15,000 mails in
it. Am I going to be able to transfer large amounts like this by the
method discussed?

It's just to make sure it works. Once you see it works properly, you can copy 100 or 100s of mails at once, or even try to copy a whole folder with 15000 mails. This will also be related to the 500meg cap if you use Gmail, your connection speed to the IMAP Server, etc. It will take considerable time if you use something out of your own PC.

When I put my evo mail into that new folder I've created, is it getting
"mailed" to the gmail account, or "uploaded". I do not want something
getting "mailed" and thereby new sets of headers etc attached to it.

No, it's uploaded to the IMAP server, nothing is mailed.

Emre