Re: [Evolution] Removing Ubuntu 9.04, Installing 14.04. How to move Evo?

Hello Milan & Tom,

On Fri, 2014-04-18 at 14:34 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 17:05 -0400, Swarup wrote:
I have been using Ubuntu 9.04 and Evolution 2.26.1 for the past five
years. This week I am going to remove Ubuntu 9.04 and install Ubuntu
14.04. Is there something special I will need to do to be able to import
the .evolution folder containing all my old mail, into the new evo
contained in Ubuntu 14.04? Will I need to create some kind of archive
folder before shutting down the old evo, or can I simply place the
old .evolution folder in the new home folder in 14.04, and the new evo
will recognize it?

      Hi,
"fine-tuned" migration code from such old version had been removed some
time ago (though I've no idea what evolution version Ubuntu 14.04 ships,
I suppose either 3.10.x or 3.12.x).

That means, you can try to "just run" evolution on top of your /home and
see whether it'll "survive", but for an easier transition, I suggest to
backup all your locally stored data, including emails, calendars,
address books, tasks and memos - all those you use.

I do not recall whether 2.26.1 has the functionality, but you might be
able to right-click respective calendar/address book/... in the tree on
the left and choose "Save as", which may create a file with its complete
content, which can be imported in the newer version of evolution. If
it's not on the book, then it usually works for selected cards. I cannot
tell for sure with 2.26.1. Mails should be save-able by selection as
well.

A bit related FAQ is here (the oldest I found, change "3.2" to the
version Ubuntu 14.04 ships, like "3.10" or "3.12"):
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/data-storage.html.en
There is also a link for Backup/Restore. You might also consider
searching this archive for "restore" and similar keywords, as it gets
you related threads discussed in the past.

Thank you very much for the info.

I have found two possible pathways which I want to ask you about.

1) The first way is that in evo 2.26.1, there is under File -> Backup
Settings. When one selects that, it creates a backup file of all one's
evo data. The file is a compressed file, called
"evolution-backup.tar.gz". It gets saved to the location of one's
choice. I just tried it-- I have a lot of mail, and so the compressed
file is of size 2.4 GB. (It contains all my email since 2007.) It only
took a few minutes to make.

This is by far the quickest and easiest method, if it will be importable
into 14.04. Once I install 14.04 and open the new Ubuntu, will it allow
me to import this file "evolution-backup.tar.gz"? If so, then I'm good
to go.

2) Here is another method, if the above won't work for any reason. This
method details how to save every mailbox folder separately.

http://www.stchman.com/export_evolution.html

This method was detailed by a fellow running Evolution 2.10.1, which is
even older than mine. So I guess it should work for me as well. A bit
tedious, doing each mailbox folder separately-- but if I have to do it
then that is another option.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Swarup