Re: [Evolution] hanging when downloading messages

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 12:46 -0700, Evolution List wrote:
LOL  Just as an aside....man do I ever feel sorry for someone coming to
Linux from the Windows world and finding themselves having to become a
sort of CLI programmer to get a program installed from source.

<snip>
Yes, running a few commands is not "programming", but yes, many windows
folks will go into a tail-spinning panic if they have to actually type a
command.

Seen that, but not been there (I started on TRS-80 and then went
to CP/M).  But the leap from "type a few commands" to "had to
program" is a leap too far.

Please note the "sort of" before the words "CLI programmer" in my
original post :).

I noticed it.  My amended assertion still stands, though.  "Pro-
gramming" means using "control structures" to have the computer
decide what to do.
Examples of control structures:
  do-while
  while-do
  for-done (also for-endfor and for-end)
  if-then-else-endif  (also if-then-else-fi)
  case-switch-esac

NOT PROGRAMMING:
./configure && make && make install
mv
cp
ls

PROGRAMMING:
for i in `ls -1`
do
    if [ -d ${i} ]
    then
        echo ${i}
        cd ${i}
        ./configure && make && make install
        cd ..
    fi
done

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Causation does NOT equal correlation !!!!!!!!