Re: [Evolution] hanging when downloading messages

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 07:25 -0700, Ski Dawg wrote:
Is there an idiot's guide to compiling Evolution from the source? I
don't build too many things from source on my FC3 systems, so I
suspect
that my problems are mostly from not knowing which packages are needed
and what order they need to be installed in, or where they are
installed
to if they were installed with an RPM (when not in a standard location
that the config script can find).

It's actually easier than it looks, once you get the hang of it. I spent
a lot of time failing to compile successfully using various scripts that
run on the CVS version (jhbuild comes to mind) mainly because they
insisted on installing an entire new Gnome system, but once I gave up on
that and just downloaded the tar.gz files from
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/ it all started to come together.

The main thing is to consult the README in the evolution directory and
compile in the order specified. I recommend installing to a separate
tree so as not to step on your existing Evo installation. I use
"/opt/evolution".

Also:

1) Set up the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable. Mine is set
to /usr/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/evolution/lib/pkgconfig.

2) Run "./configure --prefix=/opt/evolution" in each of the gtkhtml,
gal, libsoup etc. subdirs. In the case of evolution-data-server and
evolution itself, add some options, e.g.:

./configure --prefix=/opt/evolution --enable-imap4 --enable-nss
--with-openldap --with-nspr-include=/usr/include/mozilla-1.7.5/nspr

3) Run "make" and "make install" in each subdir. If anything fails, it's
almost certainly because you don't have the "-devel" RPMs of something
the make scripts need. It's fairly simple to work out what they are.

4) Kill any running Evo ("evolution --force-shutdown").

5) That's it :-)

poc