Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:55 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 22:26 +0200, Raphael Slinckx wrote:
>
> > There are no CPU-intensive parts in deskbar except startup because we
> > crate an index, so there is no point in implementing some parts in C and
> > others no, it's either all or nothing.
>
> Could you cache this generation as a picked dictionary? Then simply test
> if your dictionary is still valid when you load up next time. That would
> surely save some startup time.

Yes, i will try to cache the index we generate, see if it leads to
better startup performance.

> > In the current state of things, having it as quick-start standalone
> > alt-f2 dialog is not possible, since it takes relatively long to start.
> > Now if we don't take startup time, it is easy to have it quickly start
> > if there is an instance running somewhere before.
>
> This is why I would suggest having all of the hard stuff in a Bonobo
> factory. You already have one to power the applet. It would be a
> relatively simple matter of implementing a different type of instance
> that was a launch dialog. Since the factory already did all of the
> indexing when it started, you needn't worry about that when an instance
> is created.

Currently the indexing happens only when the applet is actually shown,
this is a bit awkward, and will be changed.

Can we block in the factory callback ?
More generally are there good and easy to understand documentation about
bonobo factories and all that stuff ?

Also if we really want to take the road of alt-f2 replacement, we can
try these things out. If we already know that we won't replace alt-f2
befor 2.14, we will concentrate on other things before trying to make
it. What do you think ?

Raf