Re: Opera backend for Beagle

On 11/7/07, Kevin Kubasik <kevin kubasik net> wrote:
> Just part of the way that Opera works is it won't write its cache to
> the disk until shutdown, or until its pushed out of memory, which can
> take some time. If you close opera, you should get all the content
> indexed.

Hmm. I'm quiet sure that I've waited enough after visiting page and
before trying to search its content. And I've just tested if Beagle
indexes that sites content after shutting down Opera. For example:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-590705.html
here we have a rare word "LiveUSB". I just visited this page with
Opera and with Beagled running. Then I closed Opera and waited for a
few minutes. As my system is not busy at the time, I presume that
beagle had enough time to index that page. Then, I tried to search for
"liveusb" - unfortunately no results were returned by Beagle.

Here's another example of the page that is not indexed:
http://www.customizetalk.com/

> Hmmm.. well, we do our best with encoding detection, but since Opera
> kinda mangles the content in its storage, our Encoding detection is
> pretty unreliable... In general we don't handle other languages very
> well, we try, but mixed languages is a known issue.

I understand, its hard to handle all the encodings for all the
languages, only for Russian we have CP1251, ISO8859-5, KOI8-R, CP866,
and a common unicode UTF-8 which is not a problem I hope. Lets take
browsers - they can do automatic encoding detection very well,
especially when the target language is defined. User tells browser to
autodetect cyrillic, for example, and it does all the work
automatically. Firefox always could do this fine, Opera is good at
least since 9.x, Konqueror sources were recently (3.5.7 I think)
changed to use heuristic cyrillic encoding detection which also work
very well now. I'm not a developer, but maybe you could use some idea
or ready encoding autodetection implementation from Konqueror/Firefox?
I'm sure that you have other importaint things to do for the next
Beagle release, but if the problem has some importance in your
opinion, it would be very cool to see "enchanced encoding
autodetection" in Beagle roadmap.

--
-wbr,
Andrey Melentyev