Re: Opera backend for Beagle

On 11/6/07, Andrey Melentyev <rikz yandex ru> wrote:
> Ok, I've updated to latest SVN and that's what I've got with Opera 9.50 Beta++.
>
> Basically pages in Opera are indexed, the memory and CPU consumption
> is ok both for Opera and Beagle.
Good Good
> But there are some cases in which
> something goes wrong:
>
> 1) http://kino.local.pp.ru/ site for example. Or
> http://forums.gentoo.org. Or http://www.karaul.ru. Or
> http://habrahabr.ru It's content is not indexed even after visiting
> different pages on that sites, or after refreshing one page multiple
> times. To be clear, I can't search visited pages on this sites at all,
> it was tested both with cyrillic and with latin characters.

Just part of the way that Opera works is it won't write its cache to
the disk until shutdown, or until its pushed out of memory, which can
take some time. If you close opera, you should get all the content
indexed.
> 2) Some Russian sites are indexed with wrong codepage. For example
> http://linux.org.ru - I can search for any english word, but the
> russian word search doesn't work. On the results window the title of
> the pages looks like this: "LINUX.ORG.RU - ?????? ????????? ?? ??
> ??????" which is incorrect. My system locale is ru_RU.UTF-8, the site
> is in KOI8-R I believe. But for example, http://bash.org.ru which is
> in CP1251 is indexed well, I can search it fine.

Hmmm.. well, we do our best with encoding detection, but since Opera
kinda mangles the content in its storage, our Encoding detection is
pretty unreliable... In general we don't handle other languages very
well, we try, but mixed languages is a known issue.

--
Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik