Re: Is there any way to kill a seahorse?

On 04/11/12 19:11, Michael Stephenson wrote:
So suddenly you care about security again?

There are two flavors of security:  Physical and electronic.
I am completely unconcerned about someone physically sitting
down and seeing post-it notes with passwords.  I am not
concerned with folks ssh-ing into my machine since the only
account open to ssh has a "shell" that does nothing except
open a tunnel into _their_ machine, but even it is disabled
now.  Everything else is stopped at the router.

So my security model is now and has always been to physically
secure my machine, block all external probes, use software
that is as reliable as I know how to get it, and use a text
database of passwords for the web sites I need to gain access
to.  I do not password protect it because I am certain no
robotic intruder is going to guess my /path/to/my/password/db.txt
file and also be able to map allusory names to real web sites.

In the end, I do not want to have passwords demanded of me
by some I-know-better-than-you-do password manager,
either when I login or when I visit web sites.

I don't know whether over the course of these exchanges you
actually developed an understanding of what
seahorse/gnome-keyring does.

I didn't know at the start.  It is not rocket science.
And I do not need its services.  It gets in my way.

In your confused head you want rid of this system because
it is inconvenient, having to enter a password all the time.

In your confused head, you are certain you know better than
me and you coded your software on that presumption.
That presumption is wrong 100% of the time.
gnome-keyring intervention needs to be optional.

There are two ways to be secure,

You are wrong.  I paste it from a text file.
I don't trust an external application to always know
when to paste a password into one of the several browsers
I use.  (Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Konqueror, all,
because of login conflicts.)  So I keep it where *I*
can get at it.

Anyway, my thanks to Stef.  gnome-keyring is gone!
I still think I ought to have been able to disable it.