Re: Is there any way to kill a seahorse?

Seahorse requires your password to decrpyt the stored passwords. Without the password decypting the stored passwords is impossible.
However if you have a blank password for gnome keyring the stored passwords will not be encrypted. Since you log in with no password and don't seem to be concerned about the security of the passwords stored in your home folder you might swell open seahorse and change the password to a blank one.

Bruce Korb <bkorb gnu org> wrote:
On 04/10/12 02:55, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-09 at 13:36 -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply:

Thank you _again_ for your reply! :)

>> On 04/09/12 11:43, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> In seahorse do you see a "login" keyring under "Passwords"?

"seahorse" is the name of the project that handles the
Gnome keyring, but there is no executable named "seahorse".
If you try running "gnome-keyring", you get a cryptic message.
There is no man page entry for such a beast, either.
So I have to ask, what do you mean by "In seahorse"?

> If so you
> can delete it and create a new keyring named login, or choose 'change
> password' and make sure it is the same password that you use to login
> [perhaps you changed your password].
>
> Yourr /etc/pam.d/common-auth probably looks like -
>
> auth required pam_env.so
> auth sufficient pam_fprint.so <<< not this, but not important
> auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
> auth required pam_unix2.so
>
> The "pam_gnome_keyring" module initializes [or attempts to] the keyring
> manager with your login password. If something messes around in your
> PAM configuration that can screw up initialization of the keyring.

All of your references to "login password" lead me to ask another question:

Is everything all messed up if you have a password-less login?

My computer is in a locked room that only I have access to.
My wife can get in, but only I ever use the system.
Would this be the source of confusion?

seahorse-lis t mailing list
seahorse-list gnome org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/seahorse-list