Re: Is there any way to kill a seahorse?

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply:

On 04/09/12 11:43, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Quoting Bruce Korb <bkorb gnu org>:
>> ..., except for this horrid little Gnomey thingy
>> that seizes my desktop until I've dismissed it.  Please be kind
>> enough to do two things:
>
> It asks you to unlock your keyring / passphrase.
> The simplest solution is to let it do that.
> You have to enter it sooner or later anyway.

I'd be happy doing that, but for the fact it keeps asking over
and over and over and over.  If I did that and it went away,
I'd have not chased this down.  Anyway, I've not had any need
of keyrings up until now, so if there is a compelling reason
for having it do its helpful task, then it needs to be helpful
in a quiet, non-intrusive way.  That, or be shot dead.

>> I didn't ask for it and there is no plainly obvious way. ...
>> I am looking for a clean, big, bright button saying, "DISABLE"
>> and it is not to be found.
>
> Because disabling the key ring management makes no sense.

I have been okay without it for about 40 years.  But also
pestering me over and over makes no sense either.

>> There's supposed to be a list of apps to start at Gnome startup,
>> but search as I might through ~/.local and ~/.gnome2, I sure cannot
>> find anything resembling any of startup, keyring (other than
>> ~/.gnome2/keyring) or seahorse that I can configure to gone.
>
> Unlocking your keyring should be integrated via PAM when you
> login via the display manager. It should open the "login"
> keyring using your login password.

Well, then, that's the problem.  For whatever reason, it isn't
hooked up properly and I need it to either go away or work
correctly.  I don't care which, but one or the other.

So how do I run down the misconfiguration?  Once I have it
figured out, I'll send you grist for your FAQ.
Google has a *lot* of hits on this issue, but none that
resolve it for me.

>> Please do not tell me that all will be better with Gnome3.
>
> Using GNOME3 right now, it rocks. And used the keyring,
> and Seahorse, under GNOME2; it worked great there too.

Not for me.

>> P.S. I also asked for an install without games.  Guess what?
>> As part of the Gnome ecosystem, you-all need to understand
>> that "no games" is yet another example of ignoring your customers'
>> desires.  Not good.
>
> That is really an issue for your distribution.

Unless the Gnome games were not properly marked as being part of
the game group.  I'm sure SuSE doesn't go into Gnome and segregate
stuff you've supplied them.  If it is properly marked, then it is
a SuSE issue.  I know it is somewhere between Gnome and SuSE,
you-all would know which.

Thank you.  Regards, Bruce