Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] audiocd view in (net)rhythmbox

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 13:05, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il ven, 2003-05-09 alle 09:53, Colin Walters ha scritto:
>
> > I don't really like putting the search box on the bottom.  It just looks
> > weird to me; it's not the normal place for a search.  And besides search
> > should be something we're advertising heavily, not stuffing down in the
> > corner.
>
> Put search in bottom corner is unusual, but do you know the Fitt's law?
>
>         "The time to acquire a target is a function of the distance to
>         and size of the target."
>
> According to Fitt's Law, targets placed along the edges of the screen
> are inherintly 'larger targets' because it's impossible to scroll beyond
> the edge of a screen. Therefore targets should be placed along the edges
> of the screen (Corners are even better, and directly under the mouse is
> best).

Now, I don't claim to be a usability expert, but it seems to me that
Fitt's law doesn't apply here, because the search entry will only be
near the edge of the screen if you run rhythmbox maximized, and you
don't have a bottom panel.  That seems like a fairly uncommon case
(although I am sure there are some out there).

> I agree: search entry is more visible.
>
> But I don't understand how can I use it in CD and/or playlist view. I
> mean: I'm in cd mode and i type something in search entry: are search
> results from CD or Library or All Sources?

Search results are from the current source, which I think makes the most
sense.  Does anyone know how iTunes does it?

> Unfortunately iTunes' skin makes it more cool :-(

Yeah.

> I try to review mochups for start default window keeping in mind:
>       * we need at least volume control and 'multipurpose' button (and
>         music controls too, of couse)

We do, I agree.

>       * we should try to keep aligned lists, horiz and vert (it's
>         somewhere in HIG)

Yep.

>       * minimize displayed lists by default (if you want lib browser,
>         open it)

I disagree with this one; it's kind of the whole point of rhythmbox.

>       * try fo fit Fitt's law (use 'central space' only for lists,
>         edges/corners for controls)

See above.

> Obviously see glade attach :-)

I like all of these!  For more-itunes-style, we'd have to make the
default window larger; in my theme the scrollbar goes past the border.

I think I would vote for "simple" overall though.