Re: [orca-list] gnome 3.10: opening orca's preferences fails when no window has focus

Hey Attila.

On 11/18/2013 01:40 AM, Hammer Attila wrote:

Agree. Acceptable to add an initial tutorial message after Orca launched
to beginner user known the importanter keystrokes? I attaching an
example patch, but this way test patch not possible turning off this
tutorial message.

I think that initial tutorial message will annoy most users, and not
just the advanced ones.

As a related aside, it is wrong to assume that Ctrl+Super+D will put you
on the desktop. That depends on the desktop environment and the user
settings within that environment. Giving beginner users incorrect
information that fails to work when they try it is not a good thing.

So I personally do not think this suggestion is acceptable for inclusion
upstream. If downstreams, who know their environment and settings and
user base want to add something like that, they most certainly can.

If an user first time seeing Orca, have chance not known Orca modifier+h

True. But Orca's documentation is available on the web. And I don't
think it is unreasonable for users to search for and read documentation
and/or send an email to a community mailing list, be it this one or the
list of a downstream distro. And if the beginning user is brand new to
technology (no existing computer skills, no smart phone, etc.) then that
user probably has someone helping or teaching that user. And that person
could do the searching/emailing.

Acceptable my Orca context menu related ydea to beginner user one place
access importanter tasks with Orca related (access preference panes,
help topics, and list of key bindings)?

I think this idea has a fundamental problem: Context menus are specific
to software you are in. And the only time you are actually in Orca is
when you have given an Orca command which has an associated Orca GUI
like the Preferences dialog or the elements list dialogs. It would be
wrong of Orca to override what Shift+F10 and the Menu key do. So then
you would need a new keybinding added to Orca that popped up a menu. And
given that your beginning user doesn't know about Orca + H, how will
he/she know about this new keybinding?

--joanie