Re: [orca-list] gnome 3.10: opening orca's preferences fails when no window has focus

Hey Attila.

On 11/17/2013 02:14 AM, Hammer Attila wrote:
Ok, I understanding this, but what will be happening this situation
other desktop environments with not using Wailand (for example LXDE,
Unity, XFCE, KDE)?

I think you might be mixing things up due to my poor explanation. Sorry
about that. And I'm not entirely understanding your question. So let me
try again to explain and hopefully in doing so I will also answer your
question.

The bug is: In GNOME Shell, if you are not in any window, Orca commands
(all of them) fail to work. This bug happens because GNOME Shell in that
particular situation is not telling Orca about keyboard events. Normally
GNOME Shell does tell Orca about keyboard events, so it's just that one
situation we need resolved. The fix is that GNOME Shell should tell Orca
about keyboard events even when the user is not in a particular window.

This bug has nothing to do with Wayland. And the fix has nothing to do
with other desktop environments.

The main reason I had mentioned Wayland is because you had an idea that
maybe we could fix the bug described above by using Wnck. My initial
response was: Even if using Wnck was a way to solve the bug, we cannot
go that route because Wnck cannot be used in Wayland and GNOME is
migrating to Wayland. My follow-up response was: Wnck won't solve the
problem even in X. Orca commands depend on Orca being told keys were
pressed and released.

Lastly, if what you are asking is: If Orca works in Wayland, will it be
broken in LXDE, Unity, XFCE, and KDE? The answer is no. Nearly all of
the Wayland-related changes are not being made in Orca. They are being
made in toolkits and also in AT-SPI2. Orca master currently works in
both X and Wayland, though there are a few bugs we still need to resolve
for Wayland.

What possible doing this situation with refactoring to easyest this
users life to start using Orca and advanced Orca users not disturb this
change?

If the GNOME Shell bug is fixed, Orca + H will work. And that command
gives users a way to learn about commands and read the documentation. So
I think the easiest and most appropriate solution is to fix the bug in
GNOME Shell.

--joanie