Re: [orca-list] gnome 3.10: opening orca's preferences fails when no window has focus

Hey Attila, all.

On 11/16/2013 11:39 AM, Hammer Attila wrote:

A possible solution, but I am not sure yet working or not:
In Python, have a Wnck binding with possible manipulating active
windows. I use this Python winding my Orca window switcher Orca
customization script.

Using Wnck is not a possible solution I'm afraid. GNOME is migrating to
Wayland. Wnck won't work in that environment. In fact, at times it
doesn't just fail to work; it causes the app using it to segfault. In
other words, wnck is for all intents and purposes deprecated. After I
finish the other stuff I'm doing in Orca, I'll be migrating Orca's use
of wnck to something else. As you may recall from my very first "heads
up" message, there are a number of changes coming up in GNOME. The focus
stuff is just the first and most significant. But I digress....

The real fix is that gnome-shell would emit an event letting us know it
has focus. If it did, this bug would be solved. If it already is doing
so and Orca is ignoring it, I can fix that. I'll investigate.

--joanie