Re: [orca-list] gnome 3.10: opening orca's preferences fails when no window has focus

Hi Joanie,

Ok, I understanding this, but what will be happening this situation
other desktop environments with not using Wailand (for example LXDE,
Unity, XFCE, KDE)?
Little offtopic part following this thread related:
During refactoring need resolving I think an importanter problem,
because Orca not have any window, very beginner users first time
possible not known what very important keystrokes possible using with
Orca (Orca modifier+Space with opening preference pane, Orca
modifier+CTRL+SPACE to opening application-depending preference pane,
and Orca+h to open learn mode and activate other importanter learning
possibilities). Have big chance this if a first migrated user first time
seeing new Orca version. We known this keystrokes, but a new Orca user
possible not known this possibilities.
What possible doing this situation with refactoring to easyest this
users life to start using Orca and advanced Orca users not disturb this
change?
Possible solutions, if acceptable:
1. Need have a short tutorial message with tells this importanter
keystrokes, this tutorial message need checking/unchecking possibility
in the preferences pane to advanced users not disturb this change. This
is more simple and shorter work I think.
Example text:
Screen reader turned on. To activate Orca preference pane, press Orca
modifier+Space. To activate learning mode, press Orca modifier+h. To
activate Orca's application-depending preference pane, press Orca
modifier+CTRL+H.
Disadvantage this change is following: this change resulting very long
tutorial message. For example only a braille display using beginner Orca
user will not seeing this entire tutorial message he's braille display.

2. Merge importanter possibilities with a context menu, with have an
accepted keystroke (for example ORCA modifier+SHIFT+O keystroke).
Possible menu items in the Orca context menu:
1. In the preferences submenu:
A. Open preference dialog.
B. Open Orca preferences for %s application (this depending the active
application).
2. Help menu: this menu item simple presenting Orca's help content.
3. List Orca keystrokes: this menu opening Orca command's listing script
with general keystroke list possibility.
4. Exit menu: this menu item activating exit with Orca possibility (not
turn off screen reader support with GNOME, simple exiting Orca).
This situation the Orca initial tutorial message is more shorter, but
not fit this message unfortunately any braille display:
Screen reader turned on. To activate Orca context menu, press Orca
modifier+SHIFT+O keystroke.

Acceptable any change suggestion? If yes, I welcome trying coding this
change.
Hopefuly my ydea is acceptable. Advanced Orca users not need this
possibility I think, but first time migrated Orca users I think help
this change to begin learning Orca usage.

Attila