From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:58 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Wine apps in Orca?

Hi Jason,

On 6/27/12, Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:
this isn't the right list for such a discussion, but you could write
one, have the users cover your expenses, and then put it under the GPL
as soon as it has recovered its development costs.

Perhaps, but development costs aren't my only consideration here.
There is the issue of intellectual copyrights to consider here. If I create
a game with various characters, a extensive back story, etc I want to be
able to control how those copyrights are used. Therefore how I license the
software and the ideas has to be carefully considered before hand.

Don't get me wrong. I like the open source model when it comes to general
software, being able to share software with the community, but its a two
edged sword. I have a wife and son and one way I make a living is by writing
software. If I give everything away for free I can't put food on the table.
If I have an idea that may sell, make a few thousand, I could put towards
bills that covers my living expenses, then I need to consider some sort of
commercial license anyway.  I guess you can say it is the practicality of
open source vs real life expenses and a need to make a living. As you say
this probably isn't the forum to discuss this aspect of the software
development side of things.

Cheers!