Re: [orca-list] Gnome3, Orca and ArchLinux

By the sound of things you may be using the wrong tools for the job. It may be worth you considering what you need and what software will meet that need.

From what you describe you want something where you know what you want and you can just tell the system what you need. You keep mentioning doing stuff from the command line so may be a text console would be enough. In the case you need a specific X based application, then you probably don't really want all the bells and whistles of gnome and a lightweight desktop system such as LXDE or may be XFCE would be better suited. In fact to speed things up, when using LXDE you could set it to automatically start a terminal window for you so you could just execute the command to start the desired application. If it really was just one application LXDE could even just start that for you. By using these lighter environments you would be using less system resource, X would start quicker and so on.

Since the gnome 3 upgrade in archlinux I have been mainly using XFCE, the lack of access to desktop icons is one thing I would like fixed, but gnome 3 seems to have stopped that anyway so I don't feel I am missing out by not using gnome. From my testing, LXDE seems to work fairly well as well, but XFCE seems to be a slightly more complete (full featured) desktop environment.

On the topic of the mouse:
1. Remember it is not required to use it, there normally is keyboard controls. 2. From my experience of using the Mac and voiceover's trackpad commander, you tend not to keep switching between the devices, there are activities such as browsing the web where you have a prolonged period of not needing to do significant keyboard input. Which input device to use is probably a personal preference thing but there are reasons why I do prefer using the trackpad commander with voiceover on the mac.

Michael Whapples