Re: [orca-list] Gnome3, Orca and ArchLinux

Frost <znvyyvfgf gmail com> wrote:

      Turning away and being kicked out of my own system are two
different things.  I used to have a working GUI, and now I don't, and
it's a good thing I don't depend on any of the GUI clients to
communicate with the outside world, or I'd be totally screwed.

How much testing did the Gnome 3 accessibility components receive sufficiently
prior to the release for the bugs to be found and fixed before the release was
made?

My suspicion is that apart from the developers who worked on them, there were
only a handful of testers. Now that the release has occurred and Gnome 3 is
entering distributions, the only people actively using Orca and the new AT-SPI
2 are probably on this mailing list, so the testing that should have happened
at the beta stage is actually taking place now, among what is still a small
group of people.

As far as I know, there aren't comprehensive automated test suites that can
identify accessibility regressions, which seem to be found mostly by manual
testing instead. I know that Orca has some automated tests and I'm sure the
same is true of AT-SPI, but that's obviously not enough to catch the problems.

Planners in the Gnome community know that they've been unable to make
Gnome-shell accessible with Orca for the 3.0 release, which is why the older
user interface must be used.