Re: Czech translation needs fixups

Hello Pavel,

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:39 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 10:09 +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:30 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Your assumption is correct.  However, be careful - the numbers in
> brackets are values returned by the formula in the beginning of the *.po
> file on the "Plural-Forms:" line.  These are not example numbers (0
> bytes, 1 byte, 2 bytes etc).
Ok, thanks for the clarification!

> It would be great to improve gettext to show the lowest number to match
> the rule rather than some abstract rule number.
>
> >  We have three suffices for describing an amount:
> >
> > 1          -> byte
> > 2-4        -> byty (the last character is ý)
>
> I have fixed that.  It was plain "y" in your patch.
I was correct in the original patch, sorry. Only plain "y" without any
accents is suitable here.

> > 5-infinity -> bytu (the last character is ů)
>
> You may need to fix "Plural-Forms:" if that's true.  There is a
> disagreement between what gettext 0.14.4 manual says about Czech
> language (which is what you say) and the rules used in cs.po included
> with gettext, which treat e.g. 22 like 2.  I took the rules from
> gettext's cs.po.

Yes, the Plural-Forms expression isn't correct for Czech inflection (the
rule in the cs.po file looks more like a rule definition for ordinal
numeral suffices) and the correct rule should be like this:

"Plural-Forms: nplurals=3; plural=(n==1 ? 0 : n>=2 && n<=4 ? 1 : 2);\n"

what returns the correct result even for 0 (result=2). This should match
perfectly messages like "You have %llu bytes free on your drive".

> > The attached patch translated another missing strings and fixes
> > ButtonBar string to fit to 6 characters.
>
> Applied.  I actually forgot to commit the previous patch, so I had to
> apply your changes manually, but now they are in CVS.
>
> You didn't reply about "%s in %d file".  I did some research using
> Google and came with reasonable translations, but I'm not sure I got the
> v/ve thing correct.

Your research is correct, the "ve" is used only in case of 2-4 files. I
know my native language is a bit brutal and not very intuitive ;)

Thanks,
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy redhat com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/