Re: Czech translation needs fixups

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 10:09 +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:30 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I think your translation of "%s in %d file" is incorrect.  There are no
> > "bytes" in the message.  It's "file" that should be plural.  When
> > tested, I got "72 byty byte v 1 souborech", which doesn't look right.
> Yes, the string is definitely not right. It's for the first time I see
> the plural construct in the po file, as I'm not a translator actually ;)
> I assumed that:
> #, fuzzy, c-format
> msgid "%s byte"
> msgid_plural "%s bytes"
> msgstr[0] "%s byt."
> msgstr[1] "%s byt."
> msgstr[2] "%s byt."
> is trying to reflect different translations for inflected languages such
> as Czech.

Your assumption is correct.  However, be careful - the numbers in
brackets are values returned by the formula in the beginning of the *.po
file on the "Plural-Forms:" line.  These are not example numbers (0
bytes, 1 byte, 2 bytes etc).

It would be great to improve gettext to show the lowest number to match
the rule rather than some abstract rule number.

>  We have three suffices for describing an amount:
> 1          -> byte
> 2-4        -> byty (the last character is ý)

I have fixed that.  It was plain "y" in your patch.

> 5-infinity -> bytu (the last character is ů)

You may need to fix "Plural-Forms:" if that's true.  There is a
disagreement between what gettext 0.14.4 manual says about Czech
language (which is what you say) and the rules used in cs.po included
with gettext, which treat e.g. 22 like 2.  I took the rules from
gettext's cs.po.

> so because of the number of indices of msgstr[] I assumed that it's this
> case. Apparently it's not.

I don't understand what you mean.

> The attached patch translated another missing strings and fixes
> ButtonBar string to fit to 6 characters.

Applied.  I actually forgot to commit the previous patch, so I had to
apply your changes manually, but now they are in CVS.

You didn't reply about "%s in %d file".  I did some research using
Google and came with reasonable translations, but I'm not sure I got the
v/ve thing correct.

Pavel Roskin

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]