Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>> That's all I'm saying, is that when it comes to the financial outlay &
>> security of the conference, I think there should be a registration fee,
>> which should be waived generously. But the default option should
>> definitely be "pay the fee".
>
> No, the foundation is supposed to attract sponsors for the purpose of
> paying for that.
>
> If it fails at this, it fails at its purpose. And that means we have to
> start replacing the people that run it, instead of starting to ask
> registration fees at a conference that always worked fine the way it
> worked in the past.

I can run a conference with free entrance for 300 or 400 people, no
problem. 500 or 600, not so much. Organisational effort and costs go up
exponentially as the size of a conference increases, which is why OSCON
costs $750 to attend, in spite of being well sponsored.

Anyway - in the past, GUADEC has had a registration fee - it's been €30,
£30, and €50. Last year, there wasn't one, but there were no free
conference Tees either. So if you're saying that GUADEC should work the
way it has in the past, I answer "Yes, absolutely, with a registration fee".

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary