Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 09:41, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Anyway - in the past, GUADEC has had a registration fee - it's been €30,
> £30, and €50. Last year, there wasn't one, but there were no free
> conference Tees either. So if you're saying that GUADEC should work the
> way it has in the past, I answer "Yes, absolutely, with a registration fee".

Yes a registration fee is fine, 30€ or 50€ would be fine (especially
with 50% discount for fondation members like in the past, which is a
nice way to thank for their contributions), 100 is too much for many
people and I don't plan to pay this.

If I attend I'll probably go for the 0 and make a donation of 30 or
40€ and from what I heard I'm not the only one thinking this.

Being employed does not mean that you have 100 euros left at the end
of the month and attending GUADEC is already a big expense without
registration fee.

In my opinion the issue is not to have a registration fee but the amount.

If I remember correctly in Istanbul it was 15€ for students, 45€ for
normal and 200 for professional with 50% for members.
I think this was a nice scheme and would still be a small increase,
but jumping from 22.5 to 100 is a huge difference which will make many
people select the 0 I'm afraid.

If the 50% discount for foundation members was back, the amount would
be more reasonable (50€ is something which many people would accept to
pay) but I did not see it mentioned anywhere in this discussion while
it was in my opinion the usual way to "thank for the code".