Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:08 +0200, Koen Martens wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The below terms & conditions will be put on the guadec registration
> site. These have been written by a Dutch lawyer. The registration
> site is due to go up today (if we can get the DNS change worked out
> that is).

Hi Koen,

It would raise concerns from the community, because it would be the
first time GUADEC has terms and conditions.

Some comments below:

> [...]
> The purchaser is responsible for any loss, theft or damage to the
> ticket.
>
> The organisation reserves the right to cancel ticket bookings that it
> reasonably suspects to have been made fraudulently.

What is the purpose of the ticket?

For activities that involves a payment it looks fine.  But for
contributors who does not have any affiliation it is free of charge, so
if they lost their ticket, why do they not request a new one?
May be I missed something.

> [...]
> Visitors consent to being filmed, photographed and recorded as members
> of the audience. The resulting film footage, images and recordings may
> be used to promote the event and its activities in print, in the media
> and on websites. The organisation will endeavour to inform visitors
> prior to the commencement of a presentation if filming is to take
> place.

This item seems contradictory with the following one:

> The unauthorised use of photographic and recording equipment is
> prohibited.

GUADEC attendants like to take a lot of pictures. So, this statement may
sound harsh, to say the least.

> The unauthorised use of laser pens and mobile phones in all of the
> venue auditoriums is prohibited.

What is the purpose of this item?

Several attendants works in the mobile industry, so prohibit the use of
mobile phones is like prohibit the use of laptops in auditoriums.  I do
think we will receive complains for this item.

> Visitors shall indemnify the organisation from and against all costs,
> charges, claims, expenses, demands and liabilities suffered or
> incurred by the organisation as a result of any action or omission by
> the visitor (including in relation to any damage caused to the event
> venue or any property therein) and/or in connection with any breach by
> visitor of any of these terms and conditions.

It seems everybody will have to contract an insurance to attend to
GUADEC.

Regards,

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño