Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

Dave:

How's swag normally organised? Is there a central repository of swag, or
does it get produced locally?

We now have a central source of t-shirts&  mugs possible, previously
this wasn't the case.

Yes, also Hackerthreads has clothing.  Perhaps we could just give people
a coupon or something that allows them to get a tshirt which is paid by
the money that they provide.  Or we could just order the swag they want
for them online as a part of the process of registering and have it
mailed to them.

I think it makes sense to have "packs" for each payment level - in the
past we have had an evening for professional participants only, and
FOSDEM does very well out of their model which is "it's free, but if you
want to get a t-shirt, you have to donate €25, if you want to get a book
&  magazine subscription as well, you donate €50". The €100 price point
is a bit high for just a t-shirt, but if we can figure out some way to
make it worthwhile for the people paying then I think we should take
that opportunity.

+1.  I think this is a great idea.  It might even be better to have
more donation levels with different swag.  For $25 you get a tshirt,
for $50 you get a Hackerthreads polo shirt, for $100 you also get a
mug, etc.

Also, it would be nice to give some special swag to volunteers who help
with the event.  At many events, volunteers get a different tshirt
(e.g. a different color).

For professional attendees, we should make an effort to have something
even more extra - a DVD with presentations sent out afterwards or
something. Perhaps we could even work with Miro before the conference to
have a DVD of GNOME presentations given as part of the registration pack?

+1.

These are just ideas, but the core principle is that if you're coming to
the conference, you shouldn't get something for nothing - we should make
an effort to have some kind of value proposition for attendees to
encourage the higher levels where they're appropriate.

Agreed.

Brian