Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

Hi,

Koen Martens wrote:
> Changing the registration levels is really not an option anymore. If we
> keep second guessing discussions we concluded months ago, we'll never
> move forward. It's EUR 0, EUR 100, EUR 250.

Agreed.

> The motivation to pay
> EUR 100 or EUR 250 is that you can miss it or get someone to pay it for
> you, and that you want to do this to help make the conference possible
> and help people who cannot afford it to be there, etc.. Not some
> materialistic trinket. The trinket is a bonus.

No-one likes to think that they're paying more for the same thing - you
need some kind of value-proposition for people to pay €100 or €250 -
"helping GNOME" may be enough, and it may not. I have my doubts.

Anyway - this discussion comes up every year when registration opens,
please make sure that the €0 option is an exception, and not the rule.

>>> These are just ideas, but the core principle is that if you're coming to
>>> the conference, you shouldn't get something for nothing - we should make
>>> an effort to have some kind of value proposition for attendees to
>>> encourage the higher levels where they're appropriate.
>
> One last note, we want to avoid that people think of it as a 'two class
> society' or something as such: you pay nothing, you get in. You pay 250,
> you get pampered and VIP'ed. Even though maybe the non-payer has contributed
> 30.000 lines of code, and the payer none.

I'm OK with a two-class society where people who pay more get a little
more and people who pay nothing get a little less. Events cost money,
and we have to pay for them somehow. I don't want to encourage people to
think of the code they write or time they spend as payment for stuff
they get off the foundation. This would be a Very Bad Thing.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary