Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 03:51:07PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> +1.  I think this is a great idea.  It might even be better to have
> more donation levels with different swag.  For $25 you get a tshirt,
> for $50 you get a Hackerthreads polo shirt, for $100 you also get a
> mug, etc.

Changing the registration levels is really not an option anymore. If we
keep second guessing discussions we concluded months ago, we'll never
move forward. It's EUR 0, EUR 100, EUR 250. The motivation to pay
EUR 100 or EUR 250 is that you can miss it or get someone to pay it for
you, and that you want to do this to help make the conference possible
and help people who cannot afford it to be there, etc.. Not some
materialistic trinket. The trinket is a bonus.

Having said that, i'm fine with promising swag. Point is, registration
will open !today! if i get that DNS change carried out, so anything we come
up with we have to come up with now. Including the budgetary implications.

> Also, it would be nice to give some special swag to volunteers who help
> with the event.  At many events, volunteers get a different tshirt
> (e.g. a different color).

That's the plan. I believe we even mentioned this in the call for
volunteers.

>> These are just ideas, but the core principle is that if you're coming to
>> the conference, you shouldn't get something for nothing - we should make
>> an effort to have some kind of value proposition for attendees to
>> encourage the higher levels where they're appropriate.

One last note, we want to avoid that people think of it as a 'two class
society' or something as such: you pay nothing, you get in. You pay 250,
you get pampered and VIP'ed. Even though maybe the non-payer has contributed
30.000 lines of code, and the payer none.

Gr,

Koen