Re: [gtk-osx-users] Building on PPC fails

>>  The biggest problem right now is that all text is invisible (see the bottom

> part in the other email).  With that problem persisting, I definitely need to
> switch to Leopard as the lowest version of OSX.  This might be a good idea
> anyway because of the cups problem, I was just trying to support the oldest OSX
> version that gtkosx according to the web page officially supports.  Maybe, it
> would be better to suggest Leopard as the lowest OSX version (with Tiger as an
> option if one wants to go through a bit more evolved building process and can
> live without printing support).
>
> Ah, sorry, I stopped reading that message when the quoted text started back and
> didn't see the bit about the missing text.
>
> You can rebuild with a lot less effort by saying
> jhbuild build -f -a -c meta-gtk-osx-core
> (-f = force, -a forces running autogen-sh, -c = clean)

Nice.  I just did that but the "invisible text" problem stays the same.

> That's really cool. It probably is white text on a white background.
> I'll ask about that on gtk-i18n, maybe Behdad will have an idea.

It looks like white text on white bg but I don't think it is a forground/background color problem.  I played around with a GtkEntry, selected some text, and still, I can't see any text.  A better description is maybe that the font engine does not seem to know how to render text.

> Why are you supporting Tiger on PPC but not even Leopard on i386?

The ppc/i386 universal build for Tiger would support Leopard on i386. Or do I miss something here?  I was able to tun the Tiger build on Lion 64bit-intl, so my thinking was that it also should run on Leopard/i386.

In the past I was able to build universal builds.  I know they are not really supported and require several changes.  I am restarting my gtk environment now for Leopard universal ppc/i386.  As a first step I was able to build for ppc only and the 10.5/10.5 SDK without any problems ("jhbuild bootstrap && jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap && jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core" succeeds without any issues).  I am trying the universal build next.

Steffen