Re: [gtk-osx-users] Building on PPC fails

On Jan 16, 2013, at 8:59 PM, Steffen Gutmann <muibase yahoo com> wrote:

> Hi John!
>
>>> I added the line
>>>
>>> autogenargs = autogenargs + ' --disable-cups'
>>>
>>> to ~/.jhbuildrc-custom, re-configured and re-built the module and now it
>> compiles through to the end.
>>
>> Tiger provides a version of cups that's too old. That's mentioned in the
>> build instructions on GnomeLive.
>
> Yes, I am going by these instructions.
>
>> If you disable cups, then your users won't
>> be able to print, so you should add a module to your project to build a more
>> recent cups.
>
> Ok, any hint on how such a module could look like?

IIRC, cups has no other dependencies, so I'd think it would be just
    <repository type="tarball" href="http://www.cups.org/"; />
    <autotools id='cups' autogen-sh="configure">
        <branch module="software.php?VERSION=1.6.1&FILE=1.6.1/cups-1.6.1-source.tar.bz2" version="1.6.1" />
    </autotools>

>> Interesting side-note: Apple seems to have become the principal developer of
>> cups, and the OSX 10.8 developer release last winter included development
>> snapshots that broke Gtk.
>

> Too bad. In general, Gtk on MacOSX could really need some help.
Oh, it got fixed in short order. No worries about that. But feel free to pitch in...

> Back to the build on PPC/Leopard for the 10.4u SDK.  meta-gtk-osx-core builds now, but when I start gtk-demo the following gets printed and the application terminates after a couple of seconds without any window ever opened:
>
> **
> Pango:ERROR:pangocairo-fontmap.c:79:pango_cairo_font_map_new: code should not be reached
> Abort trap
>
> The corresponding lines in pangocairo-fontmap.c:79 are:
>
> PangoFontMap *
> pango_cairo_font_map_new (void)
> {
>   /* Make sure that the type system is initialized */
>   g_type_init ();
>
> #if defined(HAVE_CORE_TEXT) && defined (HAVE_CAIRO_QUARTZ)
>   return g_object_new (PANGO_TYPE_CAIRO_CORE_TEXT_FONT_MAP, NULL);
> #elif defined(HAVE_CAIRO_WIN32)
>   return g_object_new (PANGO_TYPE_CAIRO_WIN32_FONT_MAP, NULL);
> #elif defined(HAVE_CAIRO_FREETYPE)
>   return g_object_new (PANGO_TYPE_CAIRO_FC_FONT_MAP, NULL);
> #else
>   g_assert_not_reached ();
>   return NULL;
> #endif
> }
>
> Have you seen this before?

No, but ISTR Behdad decided that he couldn't support ATSUI any more. He thought that there was enough of CoreText already in Tiger so that it would work, but I guess not. You'll have to build meta-gtk-osx-freetype before meta-gtk-osx-core. That will provide the pangofc2 backend.