Re: GTK+ on Mac OS X status

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:36:16 +0700
Lothar Scholz <llothar web de> wrote:

Hello Lothar,

> This doesn't mean much for the App Stores, question is will you need
> an easy end user distribution.

That's a good point. Yes, we'd like to provide easily installable apps
for Mac & Windows users (probably using cmake to help with
installers/packages).

> It's better but suffers from the same problems of not being native.
> But still looks very alien for MacOSX users.

I see...Not having Mac OS X users it's hard to imagine.

> Definitely, they are wrapping Cocoa native widgets. Reason why i
> haven't used it was that i found the wxWidgets layer to heavy and to
> old. Waiting for 3 years to release the better 3.x brand. And they
> are very slow picking up new features because of this heavy layer.

Do you consider that 3.x will be good-enough improvement?

> Well so i assume you don't take a loan of $100,000 like i have done to
> develop software. In this case there isn't really a risk anyway.

Right.

> It's a community project. But at least it is useable at the moment. I
> never ever trust again that this will soon be stable.

Really?

> Thats why i more optimistic about the native toolkits that are
> maintained by MS and Apple.

I understand your point, but I believe it should be possible to find
open-source toolkit to write open-source app.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is able to withdraw his senses from sense objects,
as the tortoise draws its limbs within the shell,

You have a right to perform your prescribed duty,
but you are not entitled to the fruits of action.
Never consider yourself the cause of the results
of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty.